October 28, 2007

Anti-Aging, Eat Healthy Foods, Live Longer and Feel Better - Part 1

Everywhere we look, read; hear it is all about anti-aging and how we can look and feel younger. I for one endorse the Dove ads, I love my age and every little imperfection I have gathered on my journey called life. However, I am really interested in living longer (which includes being healthy) and feeling better, so I started on this journey of changing my habits of eating and looking into what foods and supplements would make me feel and look better and of course live longer and healthier.

My first reservation with eating healthy was, how can I do this and still live, work and play in this world that rotates around fast food and the on the go lifestyle, so I was interested in what I could carry with me just incase I wasn't at home when it was meal time and avoid that "I'll just go thru the drive thru" syndrome.

Today's topic is going to be about nuts: Not all nuts are created equal, I am only going to discuss the ones that are beneficial (from my research) and that have the most healthy benefits, also please remember that the nuts should be eaten raw and unsalted, and yes, I know that doesn't sound like the roasted, salted deluxe nut mix we are use to, but when you read the benefits you will reap by eating these healthy anti-aging gems, you will just go yummy.

ALMONDS: This nut actually lowers blood cholesterol levels, and 90% of the fats in almonds are unsaturated, they help prevent osteoporosis and the regulate blood pressure; they are considered a well-balanced food. Studies have shown they can contribute to lower the risk of cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease and other chronic illnesses. Almonds are considered to be the most nutritious of all nuts.

WALNUTS: They are one of the best plant sources of protein. Walnuts have high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which help in the risk of heart disease by improving blood vessel elasticity and plaque accumulation. The suggested amount of walnuts per day is 1.5oz or about 20 halves, eat them in place of other snacks not in addition to and they can remain a very healthy snack.

HAZELNUTS: These nuts are very high in Vitamin E, which again is a protection against heart diseases and cancer; also Vitamin E is an anti-aging supplement both for inside and outside the body. You can also use hazelnut oil for your cooking and salads. It has been said that if cancer is already formed in the body, Hazelnuts then can fight to defuse the harmful cells.

PECANS: This is one the more elegant nuts, and is known best for pecan pie, with that said, this will not include pecan pie, but will give much more healthful benefits. Once again this nut is exceptional to reduce heart disease and coronary artery disease. Pecans are rich in oleic acid, which is also found in olive oil, which can discourage the triggering of breast cancer. Pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts contain the highest antioxidant levels of all nuts.

So the next time you head out the door, or better yet just keep a supply tightly sealed in the car, grab a packet of nuts to munch on and have ready for the kids, wife, husband, friend and who ever else rides in your car to snack on, and you will be doing your body the biggest gift of all and it will thank you by performing in a healthy glowing way and for a very long healthy time.

Thought for the day: "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas." -Linus Pauling-


My life is a work in progress; my current passion is health and wellness in the arena of organic food, holistic health, natural wellness and sharing information with the physically challenged. I reside in my own personal wellness center retreat and sanctuary in California and this affords me to bring to you my wisdom, knowledge and spiritual self in my writings Darlene Siddons Spirited Boutique

No comments: